These topics will be the basis for web searching, curriculum activities and worksheets, and web links to incorporate the Internet into the classroom
Summercore 97 alum (Dan Slosberg) goes high tech with his baby!
Hi everyone,I hope all is well in your necks of the woods. In this neck, we've got a
new baby! His name is Noah David Slosberg and he is beautiful!!! (Sorry,
but new dads get to use as many exclamation points as they want.)Being a child of the cyberian age, he of course has his
own web site where you can see pictures of him and get his stats.
Happy computing to you all,
Daniel Slosberg, fiddler and Systems Specialist, Crossroads School, Santa Monica, CA (310) 828-1196 ext. 716
Potential Themes And Topics
for Summercore 97
- African Americans..can include science, arts, music, literature, legislation and politics, sports, and math
- American Firsts ..can include legislation, discoveries, inventions, explorations, sports, encounters with Native Americans
- American Heroes was chosen by Summercore Session #2 and included science, arts, music, literature, legislation and politics, sports and math. The web pages include a sound file about Eleanor Roosevelt, several Forrest-Gump like graphics and information on several American heroes. The web pages were made by a team of four (Christina Bates, Larry Fliegelman, Rebecca Seifert, Treavor Lord) while the Photoshop graphics were created by Sarina Sherwin and Austin Birch.
- Changes and Advancements ..can include legislation, transportation, civil rights, inventions, consumer goods, food, style, literature
- Contemporary America ...can include legislation, music, arts, literature, politics, wars, social issues
- An Era in Time ..can include Colonial, Industrial Revolution, Antebellum, Gilded age
- Great Moments in American History was chosen by Summercore Session #3 and included include sports, science, government, technology, social issues, wars. Dawn Weinman, Scott Tily and Sharon Miller made a web page of links while Marty Polk and Bruce Hinton made the photoshop collage of drawings. The Summercore participants chose ten of the most important moments in American History and found web pages and graphics galore!
- The Immigrant Experience was chosen by Summercore Session #1 and included science, arts, music, literature, legislation, politics, sports, math and Ellis Island. Brent Larsen and Kristen Schilling produced these set of web pages, compiled from the research efforts of the group. Additionally, Edward Herscher and Carolyn Seaman produced a web page based on the Nobles castle. Jami Benson and Sally Breckenridge made up their own rap tune that will take over two minutes to download on a 28.8 modem!
- Social Reforms...can include prohibition, civil rights, suffrage, muckrakers, legislation, music, arts, literature, politics, wars, social issues
- The Twenty First Century......can include legislation, music, arts, literature, politics, wars, social issues, technology
- Wars in American History ...can include Revolution, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Gulf
- Women in America -- including women in sports, politics, science, industry, technology, the arts, fashion, mathematics -- was chosen by session #4. Albert Steg, Susie Kinder and Terry Culleton produced numerous links, graphics and Forrest Gump pictures using the logic of one
main web page and one