Reactions to Summercore from
Teachers at Seven Hills School
- Summercore was the best taught class I have ever attended (that is a compliment because I just loved a past math class I took five years ago)! I can tell you are teachers! The pace and clarity of information was excellent. I appreciate the hands on approach you provided for all of us.The greenbook will be useful in the future in order to keep me feeling "empowered" when I'm confused. I also valued your input on philosophy with technology in the classroom, it is good food for thought for students, staff, and parents. You have designed the class in a way to keep one challenged, on their toes, laughing and always remembering the skills of Larry Bird! Thanks.
- Excellent! Exciting! Exhilarating! I loved Summercore! I loved learning from Steve, Lynne and Sam! They are the world's greatest Tech Teachers!
- Summercore was similar to a crash course in Chinese Cooking, full of numerous ingredients which you quickly stir together over high heat, adding just a pinch of salt and other seasonings to make it spicy, while calculating whether or not you have forgotten the order of directions, then dumping or downloading over rice to be served up to your dinner guests at a later time.
---> I found the green book quite informative and read far more then directed and know that it will be quite useful in the months ahead. The pace was just right for my RAM chip and kept me awake.
---> The instructors on the other hand had this quirk of some form of obsession about someone named "Larry Bird." They kept me quite entertained relating the information and data in terms that the "Birdman" would be familiar with and in language which I could easily comprehend. Hopefully this Larry Bird moved more rapidly on a basketball court than we did on the computer. If he had stayed at the pace we used he would have been continually slammed dunked and have more than just two things in common with the world of computers.
- The course was wonderful! You gave plenty of individual time and hands on with help. This is what I needed. I was able to do some areas and not others before I came and during the course I could begin each area where I needed to. You teach in orderly styles using excellent method and you share our sense of humor. I have had training over 23 years on 6 types of computers and beginning again was a little daunting. We also were given many short classes but this week long format is much more helpful to me. Also, what on-the-job training I've experienced, helped me assimilate what you added. I came hoping to be more sure about saving and came away feeling assured.
-- Anne V
- I was frightened in this class at the beginning because I knew that this was not my area of strength. On the third day I decided that I wasn't dead yet and in fact whatever support I needed would be there. I am very glad that I completed this course and I am determined to continue my work in this area. I hear Lynne's voice in my ear saying you can do it. I also see the importance in working in groups and how creative people can be in a safe environment.
- I felt that everything worked very well. The time flew by, but Steve kept us on task very well. The green book appeared overwhelming, but breaking it up into chapters among lots of people made it manageable and digestible. All 3 of you worked well together and complemented each other's styles. The pace needed to be fast to cover the content. You planned a nice balance of activities so that we never got bogged down with one task, nor did we get bored. I also appreciated the "gender conscious" talk on Friday. People need to hear this A LOT.
---> I've never worked so hard, learned so much, and had so much fun in such a short amount of time! Thank you for all of the time and energy and patience you have in putting this program together and presenting it.
- I thought the program was terrific. I learned a lot from the material, the teachers, and the others in the class. I think it was just what we needed as a school to get a larger group of of us up to speed on computers. We needed time (and probably a push) for the humanware. I especially appreciated the way the instructors made time for some of us who had a special interest or need. As the librarian I liked finding out what classroom teachers are doing and what kinds of support is needed.
- I know this is the best teaching program about computers that I have ever taken. The instruction was so clear, and there were multiple ways to share and save information...also great suggestions on how to help our colleagues who are not here.
- I have found this experience to be one of the most productive professional growth opportunities of my career. The pace was very comfortable and was able to meet the needs of stronger students as well as novices, while allowing all to experience tremendous growth and success. Very technical information was clearly presented in a calm, clear manner, thus reducing anxiety and allowing the brain to function effectively. I truly feel that the two of you (and Sam, of course) are two of the finest instructors with whom I have ever worked. I even took notes on your teaching methods to help me in my own classroom.
- I found the rather quick pace of Summercore to be invigorating. I learned more than I thought I could absorb in one week. I also found the pace to be frustrating because there was so much I wanted to learn and didn't have time.
---> The humor of the instructors helped to keep me sane. I loved the vast amount of elementary software which was available. I wish I could have worked with it more. Working with teachers from other units and from Lotspeich was great! I will have to remember to look for plan B ( I am a plan A person).
The teaching techniques modeled by Steve and Lynne while teaching us were ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC!
- This was a most inspiring week! I have learned more in this week than in years of bits and pieces. The pace was excellent; you gave those who could go on ahead the opportunity to do so, and those who were unsure, the confidence to learn.
---> The content was extensive, but not too much! It gave us a good overview of 'what's out there' even if we weren't proficient at everything.
---> I love your style of teaching. It is a demonstration of how cooperative learning really WORKS. I shall most definitely use this method in my classroom. You modeled it perfectly.
- I felt that this was one of the best weeks of instruction I have had in a long time. So many times teachers are taught information that is not applicable to their grade level. I felt that everything I learned this week can be applied in my classroom. All of the instructors explained the concepts and info in easy to understand terms. The instructors were extremely patient with their students and answered all of our sometimes silly, questions. Many many thanks.