Reactions to Summercore from
A Variety of Alums
- Summercore was great! I got so much more out of this than I ever imagined. I think it is amazing how you are able to tailor each person's experiences to their needs. What is best is that Summercore is geared for teachers and we get a great introduction on how to use computers at school.
Martha Bangs, Math Teacher
Marlborough School, CA
- The total immersion of Summercore was, without a doubt, the best way for me to finally take the plunge with computers. With the guidance of Steve and Lynne I truly have gained confidence. This has been a fantastic experience.
Judy Murray, Science Teacher
Dana Hall School, MA
- Both Lynne and Steve have dynamic, compelling speaking styles which makes listening to them interesting and entertaining. They both behave like change agents for the use of computers in the classroom. They sweep up their workshop participants in the excitement of this technology and its potential for change in our educational system.
Palmer Sloan, Lower School Teacher
Greenwich Country Day, CT
- This is a great program. It is amazing that, with only the two of you, you can cover so many topics and meet the needs of each of the different participants and do such a good job!!
Elizabeth Traub, Math Teacher
Dwight Englewood School, NJ
- Summercore has been an exhilarating experience for me. I had expected to be intensively involved in computers, but I never expected that I would learn so much and have such a good time. The entire week was exceptionally well organized. Steve and Lynne were always available for help and as the week continued we gained enough confidence and expertise to help each other. I relished the many opportunities to work on collaborative projects, such as the publications work and the software lesson. In short, I feel that the Summercore experience enriched me beyond my greatest expectations.
Lynn Rothberg, English Teacher
Georgetown Day School, DC
- I really could not be more pleased with the last four days at Summercore. While I am still very much of a novice, I am not as intimidated as I was before coming to Summercore and thanks to Summercore I now feel that I have enough confidence and sufficient foundation at least to manipulate this powerful technology and try different things when I am stuck.
Billy Peebles, Headmaster
Powhatan School, VA
- I am leaving revitalized and thoroughly excited about going home and spending night and day in front of my Mac. Summercore is the first seminar I have been to that I didn't start watching the clock 45 minutes into the first day. Summercore has given me the incentive to explore and learn and to feel very excited about the journey.
Connie Presenza, History Teacher
Elgin Academy, IL
- I highly recommend this course for anyone who has ever even looked at a computer!
Cassie Oliver, Lower School Teacher
Greenwich Country Day, CT
- Without Summercore I would be lost!! Each time I come, I'm renewed and feel that I've caught up with the world of technology and computers again. Summercore has been the best workshop that I have ever attended.
Marilyn Bennett, Math Teacher
Marymount High School, CA
- My overall reaction is completely favorable. I came as a nervous novice possessing a good deal of computer anxiety and computer ignorance. I also came with an open mind and a willingness to learn. And learn I did! I am now willing to take risks at the keyboard rather than merely freeze up/give up.
David Hoyler, Upper School Division Head
Portledge School, NY
- Summercore was exactly what I was looking for- a total immersion into the world of computers. Although exhausting, the intensity of the experience was a plus. I lived, breathed, and dreamed computers until they were no longer foreign objects and I began to be comfortable in front of a keyboard. I don't think there was more than a span of ten minutes, and those were during a break, when I didn't learn something new. If I could, I would be back here next session!
Binney Miller, Math Teacher
Kent Place School, NJ
- This has been an incredible week. First of all, it has given me an entirely different perspective on learning and what students sitting in the classroom go through.
Chris Campbell, Fifth Grade Teacher
Elgin Academy, IL
- This has been a fabulous chance for me to learn more about the role of the computer in the classroom! The luxury of having 11 HOURS/DAY to devote to discovering the computer as an educational tool, coupled with the thoughtful instructions and insights of the coordinators, made this week an invaluable one for me. I was amazed at how Steve and Lynne seemed to satisfy the needs of such a diverse group. From a simple discussion of tabs to the more complex details of Hypercard, they made every topic interesting AND understandable.
Jennifer Cote, Middle School Math
Hathaway Brown School, OH
- I am impressed. In spite of their increasing popularity, computers are still predominantly in the hands of people who communicate better with machines than with other people. I worried that I might be subjecting myself to yet another experience in which I feel like an idiot because I don't like to create complete sentences with words like RAM and ROM and MEGS. Instead, I met Steve and Lynne who are not only very knowledgeable about computers but they are teachers of the highest caliber.
Beth Montgomery, History Teacher
St. Ann's School, NY
- Summercore is a unique educational experience. I have been to many workshops over the years but none can come close to this kind of learning. Lynne and Steve, Celtics aside, I have learned more than I imagined I would.
Laurie Allison, Middle School Math Teacher
Buckley Country Day School, NY
- As Assistant Headmaster I now have a much deeper understanding of the issues involved with getting my school and all the constituents of the school-trustees, administrators, faculty, students, parents and alumni-truly employing computers in all areas of the school to the full advantage of the learning our students do day to day.
John Holden, Assistant Headmaster
St. Andrew's Episcopal School
- The 1992 Summercore was as great as I had hoped it would be. I learned as much about using my new Mac as I did about my new Apple 2C four years ago. The quality of instruction was outstanding! Steve and Lynne exhibited extraordinary patience with 20 people with such varied computer experience.
Audrey Shuman, Second Grade and Special Needs
Solomon Schechter, MA
The TC Primer is excellent, and I look forward to referring to it often and sharing some of its useful advice with my colleagues.
Ann Robb, English Teacher
Powhatan School, VA