Reactions to Summercore 2006 - 2008 from
A Variety of Alums
our first few years of focusing on Web 2.0 as a main part of Summercore
- Summercore was a most wonderful experience in every way, transformative for my teaching, for which I am so so grateful. Thanks Lynne, Steve and Sam, you have contributed greatly to my life.
Marianne David, SC2007, Spanish & French Teacher, Trinity School NYC
- It's easily the best summer workshop -- on any subject -- that I have ever attended! It matters that both Steve and Lynne are themselves educators, because the approach they take and advice they offer is directly relevant to teachers. They understand the classroom environment that we encounter everyday and, consequently, know how to assist us in the most effective way.
Elisa Milkes, SC2007, History Teacher, Horace Mann School NYC
- I am now thinking of other teachers in the Trevor Day School community (all divisions) who would benefit from this experience. Even though we use laptops all the time in our school, this week long course will be beneficial for many of our teachers."
Sandra Harris, SC2007, Trevor Day School Technology Coordinator NYC
- I attended Summercore several years ago up in Boston. I was fairly new to teaching technology at the time and had just assumed the job of technology director of our school. Right off the bat, the first day, we were given ideas to take straight back into the classroom! One of the more pleasant surprises was that they took software that we already had and showed how we could use it in more creative ways. As a technology director, I was also given ideas as to how we could help our other subject teachers enhance their curriculums with this same software. I learned about new software, new websites, new webquests, and new computer terms ... a true marathon of learning ... but in a relaxed, humorous, and non-stressful atmosphere. As a side note, Steve and Lynne, are two of the wittiest and funniest people that I have ever met. I am returning to Summercore this summer because I feel that I have "become a bit stale" as a technology director. My days are mostly filled with "fixing" and I have not kept up with some of the latest and greatest Web 2.0 resources for our computer and classroom teachers. St. Mary's has sent at least 4 teachers to Summercore every year for the past 3 years and will be sending 4 more this year. It is, bar none, the best computer workshop in the country.
From Carol Stefany, SC2006, Technology Director, St. Mary's Episcopal Day School, Tampa FL
- Bringing together seasoned wisdom with lively enthusiasm, your dynamic duo not only passed a lot of valuable knowledge and know-how on to us, but you blended your energies in a way that inspires and models lovely collegiality that was and is wonderfully inspiring. The 22 Castilleja folk interacted in a way that was as positive, fruitful and full of good humor as I can recall ever happening in my 19 years at the school. I am very grateful for your expertise and your humanity. So it turns out, natch, that it never really was about the cool software or the nifty hardware. It was always about the Humanware. The power we got from Summercore turned out to be solar power. It's sustainable energy and it's still brightly shining on the Castilleja campus.
From Bear Capron, SC2008, Castilleja School CA, Visual and Performing Arts, All grades 6-12, Drama and Film
- Arguably the best faculty inservice program we've had at Castilleja since I joined in 2002.
From Steve Taffee, SC2008, Castilleja School CA, Director of Technology
- I enjoyed the summercore experience and learned a lot, particularly about the newest Web 2.0 technology -- Lynne's enthusiam for Web 2.0 sites and technology was contagious and inspiring. The carnival was an excellent way to have us pick one topic to explore in depth and then to learn from the experiences of others. I also felt the carnival project allowed me to apply the technology to a "real-world" situation. I also enjoyed collaborating with faculty members from other departements who I didn't have much contact with during the year.
Carolyn Steele, SC2008, Castilleja School CA, Math (Pre-Algebra and 7th Grade)
- Loved it! Keep everything...curriculum, teaching styles, policies, break times, and especially the hands-on learning time. Not only did you teach helpful content, you modeled great teaching methods.
form Linda Boza, SC2008, St. Mary's Episcopal School FL
- I use limited technology at school, mainly because I have been unaware
till now of the wealth of stuff available for use. Summercore opened my
eyes not only to possibilities but also to techniques.
Keith Blouin, SC2008, St. Mary's Episcopal School FL, Latin Teacher
- The JV/Varsity Splits ***I appreciated the option and flexibility to be able to choose the place where I would learn best. It empowered me as a learner and modeled differentiation for me as a teacher.
The Summercore Primer ***WOW! A resource that I will keep on hand and reference often. It is easy to read and understand...and funny too!
I am inspired!! I look forward to taking things back to use in my own classroom and sharing with my colleagues at my school. I was especially incpired by Lynne's story about not being a tech person by trade, but that she was self tought. I have been that way myself...not that I knew much, but what I did know I had tought myself. Summercore filled in several gaps for me, opened new doors for application/integration in my classroom and instilled in me the trait of being a risk taker when it comes to future learnings about technology. I believe that I can help make a difference at my school by sharing what I have gained this week with others...trying to model the use of Humanware.
Jen Jones, SC2008, Independent Day School FL, Grade 1 & 2 Teacher
- I wanted to come again to learn the mac, but I had no idea about the new skills and information I'd learn in the 5 years since I've was here before. Wiki's, Blogs, PhotoStory 3, Moodle, Edublog, Ning - who would have expected all these?
Cheryl Lenz, SC2008 and SC2003, Out of Door Academy FL, 5th grade math, 6th grade geography teacher
- This was honestly the best training that I have ever attended.
I feel as if you have handed me the set of keys to a whole world. Thank you! Thank you!!!
Melanie Reader, SC2008, Fifth Grade Teacher, Berkeley Preparatory School
- I thoroughly enjoyed the Summercore workshop and plan on returning next summer to attend the workshop next year. I had little expectations for the week and expected it to not be very engaging. Boy, was I wrong! The staff was so knowledgeable and resourceful, that it was very refreshing. The content was presented in a manner that was easily understood and accessible. The Primer was a wonderfully complementary tool and bursting with information that I can quickly turnkey in my classroom. Best of all, most of the resources discussed and provided were available for free on line! The conversations were engaging and thought provoking. The lessons also gave me the opportunities to reflect on my thinking and teaching and to make changes where appropriate. When I was unsure, overwhelmed, or intimidated, I was supported and encouraged, by staff, interns, and peers. For that and more, I am thankful.
Yasmin Jones, SC2008, Harlem Day Charter School NY, Language Arts Teache
- Unbeleivably well-designed--I got enough hands on experience to have things that I can really use in class next year.
Richard Somma, SC2008, Horace Mann School, Math Teacher, Grades 9,10, 12
- The Summercore Primer is a truly amazing document that I know will be an invaluable resource and my
crutch in your absence.
Fabulous! Steve, Lynne and Sam you are passionate, well-prepared and
patient teachers AND dedicated, inspiring and warm individuals! I learned
so much -- both micro and macro topics.
Meg Krause, SC2008, Waterside School CT, grade 5 teacher
- Absolutely mind blowing! Loved every minute. Lynne and Steve are master teachers
who understand the needs of all their students (young and old)!
Deena Neuwirth, SC2008, Horace Mann School, Assistant Head of Lower Division
- I loved the thorough and patient education I received. I feel so lucky to have gotten such extraordinary step by step instructions. You are both so insightful about how people learn computer applications. I never felt judged if I made a mistake or needed more time to understand something. It was a wonderful environment you created that inspired everyone, and I know that's not an easy thing to do. I got so much individual attention, and that is how I learned best of all.
Alexandra L Torinus, SC2008, Milwaukee Montessori School Video Consultant